Skip to main content

You don't have to be a victim. Choose to be the VICTOR.



I have always been a go with the flow person, meaning I didn't put much thought into things, I just did what I felt like. Now, I'm not saying I'm irrational or careless, just more of a free spirit. If I had a nudge to try something new, I wasn't afraid to give it a shot. 

Soooo, don't hold your breath but, I modeled for years, was in 2 singing groups, broke off into a solo artist, (and I'm no Beyonce, but I can hold a tune and grab the audience 😜), decided college wasn't my thing, instead I pursued a career as a hairstylist, was a stay at home mom, inherited public speaking after the loss of my sister, was a fitness trainer and now living in my purpose as a Life/ Motivational/ Mentor and all those positive names to help women become the best version of themselves and live in their full potential. WHEEEEW!

I honestly don't care for the titles because I've always loved, loving on people. The difference now is it's with intent, so I nourish and perceive my loving to love, people pleasing mentality as a gift. 

In 2011, after the loss of my sister, I lost a sense of who I was and what the hell I was supposed to do in life. She and I were working on building an empire together. My plan was to leave the hair industry after 8 years of the same hustle, even with making the bomb money, to start a business venture with my sis. I was tired and ready for something new and exciting again. Our duo, was my way out. I was going to be the head of marketing even though I had no clue what that meant, but I didn't care, I was going to do it anyways. When my mind is made up, I put my all in it.  Deep down, I wanted to be a motivational speaker, I'm not sure where this thought came from at the time, but that's what was on my mind. I figured learning how to market selling homes would be a stepping stone to learning how to market myself, when the timing was right.

Where are we going with this, right? Let me remind you, when I lost my sister, I lost a sense of who I was, that free spirit, living in the moment, go with the flow person, became broken and confused. Not only did I lose the big picture of us living out our dreams together, I remember asking myself , how am I supposed to motivate people, when I was lost myself. 

My sister was the brains and I was the doer. I'm a hands on learner and go-getter, I freaking loved that about me. Latrece was very intelligent and understood the book smarts, strategies and big fancy words. She knew how to relay the how-to, for me to just do. In losing her, I literally felt like I was starting over in life, facing the hard truth that things would never be the same without her.

So, now what? Screw motivational speaking, I was hurting and grieving. Back to doing hair, praying and hoping, I'd find something meaningful to do in life. I've never been a 9-5 worker and I wasn't about to start. That's just my personal preference.

The crazy thing is, I inherited public speaking through our non- profit we created to share our story of Latrece's struggle with Bipolar Disorder and Suicide Prevention. I cried every time, even when I prepared myself, practiced, had my bullet points and everything. I hated crying but the emotions were real. I didn't want sympathy. I wanted people to pay attention and learn something from our tragic experience. I didn't realize at the time, that I was being molded. You know, that whole inspire and motivate people idea, I was now living in it.

I dealt with confusion, anxiety, self-doubt, overthinking and feeling intimidated, because I had no idea what I was doing as the Executive Director of our non-profit. The title alone, intimidated me. I didn't think I was good enough because I didn't understand how to run this type of business. It was a growing and learning curve that I had to embrace or fall short. 

It took time for me to love the process, and I mean years. I loved the hugs, opening the conversation and the community aspect of it, but I still felt something was missing. I wasn't happy. I just thought it was because I was still hurting. But there was so much more to be revealed. I had to learn the art of communication in dealing with different personalities and speaking up for what I believed in, my values and opinions. There was a shit load of self-development and growth, in research, fueling my mind and sacrifices, including switching up some environments and cutting people out of my life. I had to reconnect with loving everything about me and stop self-criticizing myself, for not knowing it all or having it all together. I had to become more conscious of what it meant to stay true and authentic to me, myself and I. This may sound foreign to you but I had to reprogram my brain to not give a f*ck about other peoples opinions and judgement. It was rather empowering. Let's just say, when you have a passion and a reason tied to the things you do, you will stop at nothing to make it happen; my sister, my inspiration and best friend was and will forever be tied to my driving force. Everything I did, in moving forward after losing my sister, made me stronger, wiser, and more empowered than I had ever been in life. 

Find your passion, purpose or driving force in life. Be aware that sometimes a door will close to redirect you on the right path, but it's up to you to see the blessing. Be mindful of falling into a victim mentality, feeling that you are the only one in a shitty predicament or struggling. I could have adopted the mentality of, wooo-is-me, my life is horrible, how can I ever move on, my only sister is gone, only 2 years apart from me, I can't deal, as a set back for depression, anxiety, frustration, and the reason things didn't go right for me. Instead, I chose to move forward, seeking strength, claiming favor over my life, even when I didn't understand it. I wanted to get past the pain, I spoke my truth in getting past the pain, I visualized getting past the pain, and I finally willed my way and got past my pain.  Trust the process and embrace your journey.  Don't get me wrong, if I could have my sister back, I'd be ready with open arms, but that's something I can't change, so why dwell on it?  To be uncomfortable is my normal, pushing past fears, and excuses.  I live in excitement daily, eager to see how the next chapter in my life will unfold, taking action one step at a time to fulfill my vision. My sister didn't leave this earth in vein, she is a part of everything evolving in my life and I feel her spirit rooting me on through this journey.

I hope this entry helps someone today to keep pressing forward, even when it feels like you are alone and broken. I encourage you, to not be blinded by your current realities, but to open your eyes to your break though and blessings.
I was blessed to have you in my life for the memories made. 💕





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commit to bettering yourself

If you can't commit to yourself, how is it possible to Authentically commit to anything else? How many excuses have you made and dismissed or procrastinated your own priorities? You may not even realize the habit and acceptance of excuses. Are you living in comfort zones & settling for just being " ok "? To commit to bettering yourself is simple but not always easy. More than likely, you've been programmed to think a certain way over the years. Programmed to simply being " ok "  instead of " better ", doing the same " ok " things in life and wondering why you can't get ahead or find true happiness. Better requires self-discipline/ self-development Better requires pushing past your comfort zone. Better requires loyalty. Better requires leveling up. Better requires setting goals in life. Better requires the understanding and conscious effort of living in the moment , not the past nor the future. You should want and aim to b

From grief to growth and finding my purpose.

My life, forever changed. This whole life changing and purpose driven experience all started the day I lost my beautiful and vivacious sister, Latrece Bell.  I would have never thought in a million years that something like this would happen in my life. You know that feeling of "this is the type of stuff that happens around me, not to me". I felt like I was in a twilight zone; a crazy dream. I remember the day it happened , so vividly. It was so unreal. April 20, 2011, my whole world came crashing down when I got the call that my sister had committed suicide. I was at work, styling hair and I remember grabbing my keys and thinking to myself, "If I leave now, I can save her". I wanted to believe that it wasn't to late and I just had to get to her. Sadly, that wasn't the case.  My sister was everything classy, sophisticated and so intelligent, she also suffered with a mental illness, Bipolar Disorder. She was at the peak of building her brand,